There is no better way to experience the history, culture and people of downtown Sacramento than by putting on a pair of comfortable shoes and walking the streets. Sacramento’s rich history comes alive while walking the streets in one of the Downtown Sacramento Partnership’s downtown walking tours. There are several tours available to suit the interest of your party. Tour participants are guaranteed to learn something new about Sacramento attractions and history from one of the professional guides on the tour. If you are interested in setting up an exclusive tour for your large group, that can be arranged as well.
The current featured tours are the Old Sacramento Speakeasy Tour – Rich History & Dirty Little Secrets, which is a guided tour through Old Sacramento’s underground watering tours, and Rock & Roll History Tour & Pub Crawl – Locally Grown, Internationally Known, which gives tour guests a glimpse into the contribution of Sacramento talent to the popular music scene. We would be happy to arrange a group tour for either of these tours through the Downtown Sacramento Partnership.
There are also several regularly scheduled tours that delve into Sacramento’s history, art and economy. These popular tours go out year-round, and are sure to offer insight into Sacramento and California’s culture.
- Tales of the Central City – An Overview of Early Sacramento History explains how Sacramento became California’s Capital City as you walk the original route of the famed Pony Express.
- Structural Stories – Local Examples of Historical Architecture Styles showcases iconic Sacramento architecture such as the renaissance-style Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament and the art deco Crest Theatre.
- Art is All Around Us – A Tour of Sacramento’s Collection of Art in Public Places showcases works of art that have been permanently installed into downtown Sacramento’s buildings and natural environments.
- Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow – K Street Commerce, Growth and Redevelopment features the history of Sacramento’s first commercial district, which began as a vaudeville and entertainment hotspot, as well as the future developments planned for the historic district.
- The Art of Terra Cotta – An Architecture Tour Featuring Local Clay Artisans Gladding McBean highlights downtown Sacramento’s best examples of terra cotta and the contribution of the famous studio to Sacramento and the world.
All tours are available to individuals for $10. Reservations are not required for individuals. Group tours can be arranged by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about these walking tours, please visit www.downtownsac.org/tours.