Since 2006 the Sacramento Convention Center (SCC) and the Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau (SCVB) have joined the Sacramento Municipal Utilities District’s (SMUD) Commercial Greenergy Program to offset the electricity used to host meetings and conferences with environmentally friendly renewable energy – such as solar, wind, biomass, geothermal and hydroelectric energy. The use of renewable energy leaves no footprint, thereby minimizing negative effects conventions may have on the environment.
Sacramento Convention Center’s Tips for Hosting Sustainable Meetings
- Choose a sustainable venue like the SCC that recycles, donates food, incorporates locally grown produce and organic food into its menus.
- Choose a venue like the SCC that is rich in ambiance, featuring floor to ceiling windows, great year round outdoor seating, stunning art work and sculptures throughout, thus requiring less decorations or enhancements which can help to save you money and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Opt to use the Classique Catering’s china and linen or biodegradable plates, cups and flatware.
- Conserve paper by posting event materials to your web site or distributing them on flash drives.
- Purchase name badges that are reusable and collect them at the end of the meeting for use at the next one.
- Avoid dating promotional items and reuse overages at future meetings.
- Have water served from pitchers rather than plastic bottles.
- Encourage attendees to enjoy environmentally friendly activities including walks around the State Capitol or day trips to Historic Old Sacramento.
- Encourage exhibitors to bring a realistic amount of promotional materials. Have them recycle unused portions rather than dispose of them.
- Encourage exhibitors to use environmentally friendly packing materials (i.e. cardboard).
For more information www.sacramentoconventioncenter.com/community/green or call (916) 808‐5291.