SAMMIES Music Awards. Photo by Stephen Chea.
There are plenty of opportunities to tap your toes this week with Sacramento State's Festival of New American Music and Sacramento News and Review's annual SAMMIES music awards. Friday also marks the opening of Downtown Sacramento's beloved ice rink--a sure-sign that winter is upon us! See below for just 10 events you can attend in SacTown this week:
1. Music: Festival of New American Music, Nov 4-10, Sacramento State (CSUS)
A few highlights:
2. Food/Wine: The Captain's 167th Birthday Party, Nov 7, Beatnik Studios
Celebrate Frank Ruhstaller's birthday at this release party benefiting Concerts 4 Charities.
3. Theatre: Salzburg Marionette Theater, Nov 7-10, Mondavi Center
To mark the company's 100th anniversary, these "small actors" return to the US for this lively production.
4. Music: SAMMIES Music Awards, Nov 8, Ace of Spades
Now in its 22nd year, this show, put on by the Sacramento News & Review, highlights and honors indie talent in SacTown's music scene.
5. Special Events: The Wood Working Shows, Nov 8-10, Cal Expo
Attend this seminar series where local and international experts share their love for woodcraft.
6. Special Events: Sacramento Downtown Holiday Ice Rink, Nov 8-Jan 20
St. Rose of Lima Park
The beloved ice rink returns for another fun season! Drop-in or make it a night out during one of the rink's special theme nights.
7. Special Events: Santa Paws, Nov 9-10, Sacramento SPCA
Bring your two- or four-legged family members to the SPCA studio for a holiday snapshot with Mr. Claus!
8. Art/Film: 2nd Saturday, Nov 9, Various locations
A few highlights:
- Cash & Carry, Evolve Gallery, 1pm-6pm
- Friends & Friends of Friends, Capital Public Radio, 6pm-8pm
- Artists of 21TEN, Red Dot Gallery, 6pm-9pm
9. Music: JOEL, Nov 9, Harlow's
Fresh off of the Movin' Out tour, Kyle Martin and his ragtag group of musicians will perform the Piano Man's hits.
10. Festivals: Asian Performing Arts Festival, Nov 10, Crest Theatre
Learn more about Asian cultures through dance, music, fashion and martial arts demonstrations.