This Week: Plenty to Be Thankful For!
Thanksgiving Meal photo by Creative Commons/flickr user Craig Dugas.
This Thanksgiving week officially kicks off the holiday season. During this special day of gratitude, spend more quality time with your family and make new traditions. Why not participate in a morning fun-run or have a local restaurant taken care of this year's meal?
Turkey Day also means that another big holiday is around the corner... Prep for Christmas day by shopping local on Black Friday and Small Business Saturday, checking out a holiday show or donating your extra cash to groups that do good.
See below for 10 ways to have fun in Sacramento during this special week. Whatever you choose to do, make sure to enjoy this time with family and friends!
1. Music: Le Twist: Soft Metals, LowBrau, Nov 26
The talented duo bring their delectable dark electronic pop sound back to the Midtown hotspot.
2. Special Events: Theatre of Lights!, Old Sacramento, Nov 27-Dec 31
This show pairs light & sound with the words of "The Night Before Christmas." Wednesday's performance follows the lighting of the City of Sacramento Christmas tree.
3. Special Event: Thanksgiving, Nov 28
A few highlights:
- Run to Feed the Hungry, Sacramento State, 8:30am
- Courage Worldwide Turkey Trot, Cosumnes Oaks High, 8:45am
- Thanksgiving Feast, Hyatt Regency, 11am-4pm
4. Free: Fairytale Town Free Admission Day, Fairytale Town, Nov 29
The park offers free admission to those who bring canned goods on this special day.
5. Museum: Small Train Holiday, California State Railroad Museum, Nov 29-30
Be dazzled by unique scale and model trains, roving musical entertainment and a special story time with Mrs. Claus.
6. Festivals: Black Friday Celebration, East Sac Mercantile, Nov 29
Celebrate the season by perusing handmade items by craftspeople and neighborhood merchants. (Santa will also make a pitstop at the celebration!)
7. Special Events: Small Business Saturday, Various Locations, Nov 30
Support local businesses on the busiest weekends of the year by shopping small.
8. Night Life: Holiday Jam: Family Fun Night, Guild Theater, Nov 30
This family-friendly event features local poets, musicians and a special appearance by BET Comic View comedian, Kirk McHenry.
9. Festivals: Alternative Gift Fair for the Season of Giving, Sacramento City College, Dec 1
Discover nonprofit agencies that serve our community at this charitable giving matchmaking event.
10. Special Events: The Final Beard-Off, River City Saloon, Dec 1
Attendees decide whether contestants save or shave their beards at this fundraiser benefiting men's health and prostate cancer research programs.
Find more events this week and every day of the year at Sacramento365.com.