Bassmaster Elites Bass Fishing Tournament in Sacramento
April 30 - May 3
Discovery Park, 1000 Garden Highway
The Competition: The Bassmaster Elite Series, a nine-tournament event, is the premier fishing tournament series in the world. More than 100 professional anglers will compete over four days for a $100,000 top prize. The anglers will be fishing the waters off Discovery Park in a free event that's great for families, fishing fans and anyone looking for something exciting to do outdoors.
Contestants will be launching daily from Discovery Park around 6:15 a.m. each day and returning to Discovery Park between 2:15 p.m. - 3:15 p.m for weigh-ins on the main stage. Park gates will open to the public at 6 a.m. daily, so come down early and watch the anglers launch.
The Event: The Sacramento tournament will feature fun for the entire family. On Saturday, May 2 and Sunday, May 3 come on down for the free outdoor expo from 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. and enjoy free parking off of the Garden Highway entrance to Discovery Park. If you’re feeling up for it, ride your bike, an easy trip along the American River Bike Trail, and enjoy free SABA bike valet by the County of Sacramento.
The free fan expo will feature a variety of outdoor and wildlife businesses and both local and national companies including Toyota, B.A.S.S. merchandise, Bass Pro Shops 7 Nitro, Berkley, Shell Rotella, and more. Guests will have the opportunity to purchase fishing and hunting licenses, enjoy free giveaways, a beer and wine pavilion, delicious food, live music and a kids' zone.
- Craig Wayne Boyd, the winner of Season 7 of The Voice, Saturday, May 2 at 1 p.m.
- Local folk rock-inspired Musical Charis on Sunday, May 3 at 1 p.m.
Concessions: Concessions will open at 8 a.m. each day for the breakfast crowd and then will reopen at 11 a.m. and close following the weigh-ins. Arrive early for the launches and enjoy breakfast burritos, French toast sticks and biscuits and gravy. Stay for lunch and pick up a barbecue beef short rib and house fresh potato chips or Philly cheese with Sunfed Ranch beef brisket sandwich.
Kids' Zone: The Sacramento Children’s Museum, Nimbus Fish Hatchery and CA Boating and Waterways are hosting the kids' zone and bringing an array of activities for kids of all ages. Families will enjoy
- A casting activity: Inspired by what you see out there on the water? Get in on the fishing fun at the casting station. Staff and volunteers will help you learn the proper technique while you attempt to “hook” one of the fish.
- Gyotaku: Try the ancient Japanese art form of or fish-printing. Choose a rubber fish and your favorite color of paint, then use the fish like a stamp to create a beautiful, detailed, and one-of-a-kind print to take home.
- Raceways exhibit: Have a ball playing with velocity, gravity, motion, friction and acceleration. The exhibit demonstrates basic principles of objects in motion that were formulated by Sir Isaac Newton and Galileo Galilei.
- Kids will be able to play interactive games with a 10-foot by 10-foot inflatable life jacket including a bean bag toss
- Life jacket giveaways to the first 100 who come check out the kids' area at Bassmaster (in support of the Wear It CA campaign hosted by CA Boating & Waterways)
- A photo booth on site that kids and families can use during the event
- A giveaway with 200 camouflage-patterned adult life jackets
VIP: The event is free, but there are a limited number of VIP tickets. At only $50, the VIP package includes:
- Exclusive backstage viewing
- Premium river and dock views
- Complimentary food and beverage
- Beer and wine available for purchase
- Angler meet-and-greet opportunities
- Preferred seating
- Free premium parking
Stay in Sacramento: The Sacramento Sports Commission and the Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau have partnered with area hotels to create special hotel packages so you can stay close to the excitement and enjoy the entire tournament.
Catch and Release: Did you know that in 1972, BASS initiated a "Don't Kill Your Catch" program that evolved into the modern "catch-and-release" ethic now practiced by nearly all bass anglers? When Bassmaster Elite comes to the Sacramento Delta, every one of their fish will be handled by the biologists from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. They will be taken in one of the big fish hatchery trucks from the weigh- in locations at Discovery Park back to multiple locations in the Delta, where they will be released.