OLD SACRAMENTO, Calif., July 1, 2012 - Union Pacific Railroad will continue its year-long 150TH anniversary celebration with a huge, two-day signature event in Old Sacramento September 29-30. The free event will commemorate 150 years since President Abraham Lincoln created the original Union Pacific by signing the Pacific Railway Act of July 1, 1862. In partnership with California State Parks, the Union Pacific - Building America for 150 Years! celebration will be the most elaborate event staged in the Western United States as part of Union Pacific's sesquicentennial year to be held at the California State Railroad Museum.
"Union Pacific's 150TH anniversary gives us a special chance to celebrate our historic past with the communities that are most important to our future," said Scott Moore, Union Pacific vice president, public affairs - Western Region. "We are proud to celebrate 150 years of innovation and building America with a signature event in Old Sacramento with its fascinating past rich in the history and heritage of the West."
A variety of locomotives and other equipment will be on special display during the two-day Union Pacific - Building America for 150 Years! event in Old Sacramento, open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. Highlights will include:
- The chance for visitors to see the inside of the engineer's cab of the legendary steam locomotive No. 844.
- The 1960‘s vintage Promontory baggage car that has been retrofitted into a state-of-the-art traveling museum.
- History-rich passenger cars and equipment.
- Modern UP police and maintenance vehicles.
- A recently launched UP locomotive that reduces emissions and provides a glimpse into the future of railroading.
- Train rides on Union Pacific's popular miniature train, UP 956.
- Free weekend excursion train rides on the Sacramento Southern Railroad (based on availability).
- Complimentary entrance all weekend long to the California State Railroad Museum, widely recognized as North America's most popular train museum, and access to a special exhibit launching that weekend highlighting the legacy of the transcontinental railroad.
More information about Union Pacific Railroad, the series of special events or the Union Pacific - Building America for 150 Years! celebration is available atwww.up150.com and www.californiastaterailroadmuseum.org.
About Union Pacific It was 150 years ago that Abraham Lincoln signed the Pacific Railway Act of July 1, 1862, creating the original Union Pacific. One of America's iconic companies, today, Union Pacific Railroad is the principal operating company of Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE: UNP), linking 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country by rail and providing freight solutions and logistics expertise to the global supply chain. From 2000 through 2011, Union Pacific spent more than $31 billion on its network and operations, making needed investments in America's infrastructure and enhancing its ability to provide safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible freight transportation. Union Pacific's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Energy, Industrial Products and Intermodal. The railroad serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers and emphasizes excellent customer service. Union Pacific operates competitive routes from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways, connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major Mexico gateways.