Families Can Look Forward to Supersized Summer Fun and Great Concerts
SACRAMENTO, CA-"The Fun Just Got Bigger!" is the 2011 State Fair theme to be celebrated July 14-31. Early plans indicate Poppy, the State Fair mascot, has been scouring the California landscape identifying BIG and amazing attractions for the public to enjoy at this annual summer event held at Cal Expo in Sacramento.
Many Sacramento hotels are offering California State Fair and summer packages and the Sacramento Gold Card is an exclusive benefit to guests staying at Sacramento-area hotels. The Sacramento Gold Card provides discounts to more than 30 attractions, restaurants, retailers, theaters, and sports venues throughout the region. Visitors can now choose from more than 30 hotels that offer the card. To receive a Sacramento Gold Card, guests simply need to request one when checking in at a participating hotel. For a complete list of benefits visit www.discovergold.org
This July fairgoers will experience a wide variety of attractions which are either large in scale or play on grandiose traditions of fairs, agriculture, and entertainment. Come see these fantastic features!
NEW! "BIG BUGS!" Exhibit
In the center of the fairgrounds this summer, patrons will experience an amazing exhibit featuring gigantic robotic insects. The indoor attraction includes enormous bugs (Praying Mantis, Locust, Fighting Beetles, Caterpillar, Stick Insect, Lady Bug and more) that move just like real life! There will be plenty of interactive areas and photo opportunities for the entire family. Entrance to this exhibit is free with fair admission. Come find your inner entomologist!
NEW! "ROCK U" Exhibit
The State Fair and Stage Nine Entertainment Company invite you to enroll in "Rock U - The Institute of Rock "N" Roll." This marquis exhibit will showcase all aspects of this industry from the creative, performing, production and consumer, it's all here! Come learn about the history of rock ‘n roll and gain valuable hands-on experience to become a rock star! "Rock U" will provide the total music experience for all ages. Entrance to this Expo Center, Building # 5 exhibit is free with fair admission.
NEW! "KANGAROO JOEY'S BIG ADVENTURE" Exhibit
In the floriculture tent, fairgoers will preview a worldly menagerie of live critters; including a six-month old marsupial from Australia! Baby Kangaroo Joey and his crew of furry, feathered and friendly buddies are headed on a swashbuckling adventure seeking treasures. Traveling the continents of Australia, Asia, Africa and South America they encounter lots of new friends. Come meet Joey, Wisk the Hedgehog, Emily the Emu, and Spike the Porcupine. Entrance to the exhibit is free with fair admission.
NEW! "CALIFORNIA'S GOLDEN FAIRS" Exhibit
The State Fair and CDFA's Division of Fairs and Expositions have partnered in Expo Center, Building # 4 on an amazing retrospective exhibit celebrating the 200 year history of fairs and expositions in North America with a particular emphasis on fairs right here in the Golden State. You will be amazed to learn of the significant role fairs continue to play in our culture and tremendous impact on the economy.
Even More BIG FUN!
A partial listing of colossal fun activities includes:
- Monster Truck Rides // EVERYDAY // FREE
- The Farm with Baby Barnyard Animals // EVERYDAY // FREE
- Magnificent Midway and Kids Park // EVERYDAY // FREE
- Toyota Xtreme Zone and Motocross // EVERYDAY // FREE
- Hypnotist Suzy Haner // EVERYDAY // FREE
- Fireworks // NIGHTLY // FREE
- LIVE Horse Racing! // JULY 14-17 // FREE // $3 box seats
(Thoroughbreds and Mixed Breeds) JULY 20-24
- Poppy's Birthday Party // JULY 19 // FREE
- Metal Mayhem Demo Derby* // JULY 23 //limited FREE seating, $5 reserved
- Kids Talent Showcase // JULY 26 / FREE
- Taste & Celebrate the Best! Wine Event* // JULY 29 //$25
(Formerly California Grape and Gourmet)
- Hot Rod Tractor Pull //JULY 29 //FREE
- Friends of the Fair Brewfest* // JULY 30 // $15
- Sacramento Mile Motorcycle Race* // JULY 30 // $30-$95
(Includes State Fair Admission @www.sacramentomile.com)
*Event tickets on sale only at www.bigfun.org
EXCITING CONCERT SERIES!
The Concert Series is always reason to attend the State Fair. General viewing of all concerts is FREE with State Fair admission but reserved seats will be sold for an additional fee based on the performer at www.tickets.com.
Online concert tickets will go on sale to nonsubscribers beginning April 1, 2011 onwww.tickets.com. All shows will be held on the Golden1 Stage at 8 p.m. unless otherwise noted. The preliminary lineup for 2011 includes:
- July 14: The Fab Four - The Ultimate Tribute ($10.00 for reserved seats)
- July 15: Blue Oyster Cult ($10.00 for reserved seats)
- July 17: Mariachi Vargas De Tecalitan ($20.00 for reserved seats)
Note: This show starts at 6 p.m.
- July 18: MC Hammer ($10.00 for reserved seats)
- July 19: Neon Trees ($16.00 for reserved seats)
- July 20: Lee Greenwood ($10.00 for reserved seats)
- July 21: Sugarfoot's Ohio Players & SOS Band ($10.00 for reserved seats)
- July 22: Aja Vu-Music of Steely Dan (Free)
- July 23: War ($10.00 for reserved seats)
- July 24: Casey James ($10.00 for reserved seats)
- July 25: Moonwalker - Featuring Michael Firestone - A Reflection of Michael Jackson($10.00 for reserved seats)
- Choo Choo Soul - Featuring Genevieve ($3.00 for reserved seats)
Note: Two shows this day at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.)
- July 27: REO Speedwagon ($19.00 for reserved seats)
- July 28: Three Dog Night ($10.00 for reserved seats)
- July 31: Starship-Starring Mickey Thomas ($10.00 for reserved seats)
ADMISSION TICKETS AND DISCOUNT PACKAGES!
Advance online admission tickets to the 2011 California State Fair are on sale NOW by visiting www.bigfun.org. Take advantage of these discounted fares while the offer lasts!
Poppy PAK $39.95 Includes 4 general admission, 4 Monorail or 4 ride tickets & parking
GENERAL ADMISSION $10
SENIOR ADMISSION (AGES 62+) $8
YOUTH ADMISSION (AGES 5-12) $6
CHILD ADMISSION (AGES 0-4) FREE
SEASON PASS $29.99 Includes State Fair admission, unlimited Monorail rides & admission to Raging Waters (valid July 14-31 only)
UNLIMITED RIDE WRISTBAND $28
UNLIMITED RIDE WRISTBAND/ ADMISSION COMBO $38
For more information about the California State Fair visit www.bigfun.org.